Intraocular lenses (IOLs) replace your eye’s natural lens when it has been damaged or is diseased. It is a common treatment option if you are suffering from cataracts . ReZoom is one of the many cataract lens options we offer to help restore your vision after cataracts.
Edison Cataract Surgeons , NJ, Dr. Hitesh K. Patel and Dr. Himanshu S. Shah are board-certified ophthalmologists with many years of experience and rigorous training in the treatment of cataracts.
Candidates for ReZoom IOLs
Although cataracts are the main reason for choosing lens replacement surgery, many patients seek the procedure because they have difficulty seeing well during close tasks or seeing far away. Some patients with presbyopia want to reduce or eliminate dependency on glasses and contact lenses.
How ReZoom Lenses Work
Unlike monofocal intraocular lenses, ReZoom IOLs are multifocal. The lens works very similarly to your eye’s natural lens. The outer part of the lens is used for furthest distance vision, while the innermost part of the lens is used for close vision. Other parts of the lens contribute to various points of vision in between, known as intermediate vision.
ReZoom IOLs offer you the following benefits:
- Improved vision at all distances
- Improved vision, regardless of the lighting conditions
- Successful treatment of cataracts
- Reducing or eliminating the need for corrective lenses
Which is the Right IOL for You?
Currently, three multifocal IOL brands approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are available in the United States:
- ReSTOR offers “diffractive design,” which changes how light is directed to the retina and allows better focus at multiple distances. The most recent version of ReSTOR enables even sharper vision at intermediate distances.
- ReZoom allows light to enter the eye at different zones via concentric rings which help with focusing at varying distances.
- Tecnis also uses diffractive design to direct light in various ways. Clinical trials have demonstrated that when Tecnis is implanted in each eye, the patient enjoys 20/25 or better distance vision and 20/32 or better near vision.
Crystalens corrects presbyopia, or aging eyes, but does not offer multifocal properties. Crystalens is a monofocal IOL, meaning the ability to see at varying distances occurs not through the lens itself, but as the position of the lens within the eye shifts.
At your initial consultation, Dr. Patel and Dr. Shah will review the various options with you and recommend the best one to suit your unique individual needs.
Please contact our cataract surgeons in New Jersey today to schedule your initial ReZoom consultation at Patel Eye Associates, serving Edison, New Brunswick, and Middlesex County, New Jersey.