Are you a good candidate for LASIK surgery? Not every person will qualify. At Patel Eye Associates, are experienced Edison, NJ laser eye surgeons work closely with you to evaluate and diagnose your vision condition. Sometimes, the right choice is to ‘just do it!’ in terms of LASIK surgery. Our eye doctors will recommend the ideal procedure to provide you with the best possible results for your refractive surgery.
General Requirements for LASIK Eligibility
Ideal candidates for LASIK meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 years of age
- Stable vision prescription, unchanged for at least one year
- Free of eye infections or injuries, such as herpes of the eye, inflammation, dry eyes, and retinal or corneal diseases
- Free of autoimmune disorders that may affect wound healing, such as
lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or HIV
- Do not take medications that affect healing, such as steroids or immunosuppressants
- Have healthy corneas with no scarring or abnormalities from disease, trauma, aging, or keratoconus , a condition that alters the shape of the cornea
- Pupils must be of appropriate size
- Sufficient corneal thickness to safely create the corneal flap
- No severe refractive errors, such as extreme farsightedness.
Pregnant or nursing women may wish to wait to undergo refractive surgery since hormones can affect vision quality.
Other Qualifications to Consider
Please consider the following factors when deciding if LASIK is right for you:
- Realistic expectations – It is important to have realistic expectations for your procedure. LASIK will not necessarily give you perfect vision. While many patients achieve 20/20 vision or better, there are also patients who do not achieve this level of vision. More than 90% of patients achieve 20/40 vision or better, which will eliminate your need for glasses or contact lenses. However, going into your procedure with unrealistic expectations may adversely impact your satisfaction with the outcome.
- Diligence with follow-up care – LASIK patients must also fulfill certain post-surgery requirements, such as appearing for follow-up visits, avoiding risky behavior such as swimming during the recovery phase, and performing self-care while healing. If you are not sure you can meet these requirements, you may not be an ideal candidate for LASIK.
- Occupational hazards – Some occupations prohibit LASIK surgery. Pilots in the military, for example, are discouraged from having the procedure. You may wish to check with your employer to be sure there are no restrictions placed on your ability to undergo LASIK.
- Contact sports – If you are an enthusiastic participant in contact sports such as wrestling, boxing or martial arts, LASIK may not be the best option for you since you are at higher risk to receive a blow to the eye area. Other options may be more suitable, and Dr. Patel will discuss these with you during your consultation.
To learn more about your eligibility for LASIK, please contact our laser eye surgeon in New Jersey at Patel Eye Associates. We serve the communities of Edison, New Brunswick, and Middlesex County, New Jersey. Set up a vision correction consultation today!